6 Ekim 2014 Pazartesi

Selcuk in a week... Ephesus, Artemis, Basilica of St. John, Pamucak Beach, Şirince Village...

Selçuk is a small and cutty town just 3km to Ephesus. It is also the accommodation and transfer point for the ones who would like to visit Ephesus, Artemision, St. John Church, house of Virgin Mary or Isa Bey Mosque.  It is a green and friendly town with lovely local small restaurants who serve delicious traditional dishes to cheap prices. People are friendly and wellcoming with big smiles on their faces. It is not only the town itself but probably because of containing that much important religious places, some spiritual things are going on over there or I'm dreaming.

First day, I reached to Selçuk early in the morning. The hostel I was planning to stay had no vacancy but offered another one with cheaper price. That was a good deal for me. 30TL a day with breakfast. Staying in a three bed room by myself. Locals told me that after september number of tourists start decreasing and see the bottom at january and february. So, this was my luck:) 
I couldn't wait more to see Ephesus as it was my first reason to visit here. I took a minibus directly to Ephesus from the town terminal. There are minibuses to Ephesus and from Ephesus to Selçuk in every 20 minutes and costs only 2,5TL(one way). 

Ephesus... At last, I was able to visit this important ancient Greek city of Ionia. My happiness and excitement was undescribable. The city wellcome me with its big ancient open air theater. Its capasity was 25.000 people and had been used not only for plays or concerts but also for the gladiatorial combats during later Roman times.

After sitting on the steps of this fascinating theather for a while I continued walking at the wide streets of the city. The Marble Street which led me to Celsus Library had a gift for me. A chamaleon was passing across the stree with slow steps spining its eyes 360degress and looking to people. I didn't even know we have them in Turkiye. After this lovely surprise, I followed the streeet through the Celsus Library.  This library is one of the most beautiful structures in Ephesus. I don't know how many times I've seen its pictures for all my life. Now, it was standing in front of me. So beautiful!

I was unable to leave the sight of the library. I made myself move just after deciding to come back later again at the end. So I followed the Curetes Street to see the temples of Domitian and Hadrian, fountains of Trajan and Pollio, gymnasiums, the odeon... Passing from Hadrian's gate, saluting to Memmius Monument, walking withing the rooms of ancient Scholastica baths, coming back to the Harbour Street after the last "long" look to the library. I know words are not enough to describe this ancient city. So I'll share some photos to give you an idea about it.

antique open-air teather
the chamaleon I was talking about
The Celsus Library
Curates Street
temple of Hadrian
Memmius Monument
the odeon
the basilica
Second day, after having my breakfast at the hostel, I went out firstly to visit the Temple of Artemis. Ephesus is a very important religious area. Its religious days start from paganism times. Temple of Artemis is one of the biggest temples of paganism that was built in Anatolia and is one of the World's Seven Wonders. Of course there is not much left from it but to be at a place, built long before cristianity or islam was an original experience. To think that once upon a time people were worshiping to nature, respecting and loving it made me think of nowadays and how easy to destroy it for human kind. Still I felt hope. If we had done this before probably we can do it again. Maybe I'm dreaming again... Anyway, starting the day with this temple was not a spontaneous choice. It was my first stop as it was the first to be.

ruins of Artemis Temple
Second stop was Isa Bey Mosque. This time it was not because Islam came to this land as the next religion after paganism but just because it was on my way to basilica of Saint John. Isa Bey Mosque is one of the most delicate examples of Seljukian architecture, situated below the basilica of St. John. The construction of the mosque dates back to 1375 AC.

from outside
inside
Third stop; basilica of Saint John... For the ones who don't know the story, it is generally accepted that St. John came to Ephesus together with the Virgin Mary somewhere between 37 and 48 AC. where they spent the rest of their lives. After his death approximately at the age of 100, he was buried to Ayasuluk Hill according to his last request. Three hundred years after the death of St. John, a small chapel was constructed over the grave in the 4th century. This basilica is the remains of the one which was built by the Roman Emperar Justinian and his wife Theodora. It was constructed in the 5th century AC, After 14th century, due to several earthquakes the basilica became unusable. The monumental tomb of St. John is still here and every year hosts the visits of thousands of cristians.

monumental tomb of St. John
the basilica
Last stop was the inner castle. the citadel... The citadel which is on the highest point of Ayasuluk Hill is like a crown over Selçuk. Behind its proud look its long past is hidden. The walls seen today belong to Seljukid-Ottoman periods. According to the tradition, St. John wrote his Gospel on this hill and prayed there.

the citadel
Third day was a chill out day. After two days of full history, religion and spirituality my soul needed a break and felt like sea air. The address was simple; Pamucak. It's the Aegean coast of Selçuk. A long beach with cool Aegean water. The decrease at tourist number was again a luck for me. It was so pieceful and silent. A little bit windy but worth to watch the sunset. 

Pamucak beach
sunset at Pamucak
Pamucak is only 8km to Selçuk town center. It is the last stop of the minibuses going to Ephesus. There are bungalows and camping facilities for the ones who would like to enjoy a sky full of stars at night but also there are lots of hotel accommodation posibilities.

Fourth day was the time to visit Şirince Village. This old rum village has a long history starting from 5th century. Before the Republic of Turkiye, it is said that Şirince was formed over 3000 houses which means over 10.000 people. Today only around 150 houses are still living. The main living of the village is tourism and raising olives, peaces and fig. The village is also famous with its homemade fruit wines.

Şirince Village
Dimitros Church and village street
Şirince Village
the cranberry wine was delicious
I fell in love with this small and cozy village. And by coincedence, a couchsurfing host found me and offered me a place to stay for a few days. This was an offer I couldn't resist and excepted immediately. At the fourth night of my journey to Selçuk, I stayed at Şirince, woke up the next day, went to Selçuk in the morning, pick up my backpack and came back to Şirince. But they didn't let me go to Selçuk without having a breakfast first. What a lovely one it was...!

traditional turkish breakfast
Fifth day started with this packing stuff and moving to Şirince, went on with a short siesta and lasted with a nice tracking to Kaiser Rock. It is a 3,3km route and is the shortest route around the village. There are some other and longer routes around the village containing stream crossing or church and monastery ruins.

Kaiser Rock near Şirince village
I spent three nights and four days at Şirince village which I enjoyed every second. But as every good thing, we came to the end. I said goodbye to Şirince and left till our next meeting.

Selçuk, Ephesus and Şirince are generally the places where people spend mostly one or two days. But definetely there are many things to do, places to visit in and around Selçuk. You should give it a chance and I guess, it won't let you down.




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder